Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The DNA of a Plant


     Yesterday I met with Jesse (our pastor) and Doug the teaching pastor-guy at a Dunkin Donuts… don’t worry, I didn’t give in.  Seriously, go ahead and ask them.  And yes, I did workout this morning.  Anyway, we talked about the church planting assessment that Jesse and Anitra had returned from as well as the First Steps conference they attended.  Jesse said his eyes had been opened about a lot of things, but one thing that struck me in particular was the conversation about the DNA of the church.  Jesse said he was told (and rightly so I might add) that you should start a church with the end game in mind.  This is just good coaching and managing from a sports angle, but also in business and other long-range planning efforts.  In other words, what is the finished product?  What do you expect the church to look like when you are done with it?  Now, you may never intend to leave a work, but if you do, what will it look like?  How will you leave it?  Once you have that picture clear in your mind, then you need to determine the necessary components to make the picture a reality.  More specifically, what type of people do you need to have in place to make it happen?  (Getting the right people on the bus and all that corporate leadership stuff)  Once that is figured out, then you work backwards until you get what some people may call your irreducible ecclesiastical minimum (hey, I paid a lot of money for that so lay off!).  To put it plainly, what is the basic minimum necessary for you to begin the church that will eventually become what you envisioned in the end?  This is the basic DNA of your church… the building blocks of church life so-to-speak.  Well, if you have been following the story of the Roots Community you will know that we’ve kinda worked backwards according to this principle.  Jesse assembled a killer team and then we have been trying to collectively move forward without a real end game in mind.  Oh well.  Doesn’t mean we can’t backtrack a little.  Besides, we all know God called us to be a part of this so that means He intended for us to be integral parts of the DNA of Roots Community.  Now to what struck me most about this conversation:

     While discussing basic elements necessary in the DNA of every church plant, Jesse said he realized we were missing a key element:  an evangelist.  No, I don’t mean Robert Tilton, Benny Hinn, or any other corrupt or corny televangelist.  I mean someone who truly has the gift of evangelism.  Someone who cannot help but share the love of Christ with just about everyone they meet; someone who lives with the everyday intention to reach as many people for Jesus as possible.  Now I know that many of us cringe at the mere thought of encountering one of these people.  We tend to consider them to be annoying, alienating, out-of-touch, and generally a nuisance to regular society and a hindrance to “real” ministry.  I agree on some levels, but not on others.  What really punched me in the gut was the fact that I used to “score” high on the evangelism meter.  No, I never had a charis-mullet (although I’m getting close now) nor did I shout through a bullhorn at people and hand out Chic Tracks.  What I did do was make sure I was intentional in my living in such a way as to allow the gospel to invade every aspect of my actions, conversations, and relationships.  Most people who knew me (in the church at least) would consider me to be very evangelistic.  I regularly taught and encouraged my students to be about the work of evangelism.  I was even the evangelism speaker at a youth mission camp.  Discipleship and evangelism were the cornerstones of my ministry for 10 years.  So what happened?  Why is it no longer evident?  I know Jesse hasn’t known me for very long and we haven’t spent a lot of time together, but that aspect of my character should have come out enough for him to be able to say, “Yeah, Kevin has the gift of evangelism.” (or something like that)  Now I am not upset with Jesse for not noticing me or anything… I am upset with myself for neglecting that to the point that it is not discernable by others.  Well, I plan on doing something about that.  I won’t force anything, I will just begin praying for God to bring me back to where I was.  It is His Spirit alone that draws people and He uses us as tools for accomplishing that so I will place myself in His hands to shape me and mold me to be the man once was and the man God still wants me to be.

            Before I take off I have a really great praise to offer up for everybody… we have our first financial supporters!  BJ and I are going to be raising support and we have been a bit behind on getting our list and letters together, but we have been building into relationships, and one of the couples we have been friends with for years have decided to join us in God’s work by giving us monthly support.  Praise God!  The best part… they aren’t rich.  They have decided to act generously and sacrificially to help further the work of the Gospel in the Four Corners area of Central Florida.  My prayer is that others will see the value of the work that is so desperately needed in this area and God will prompt them to join us as well.

            God you are awesome and I cannot believe that you would choose me to serve you in this capacity!  Thank you so much for your provision and for your passion for people.  Please re-kindle this passion in my heart.  Create in me the desire to truly connect people with You.  Help me live with such intention that others are drawn to the power, grace, and mercy that You give.  You alone give us life and You alone can save us.  My prayer is that I would not miss out on the joy of serving and suffering for Your name’s sake.

4 comments:

Johnathan said...

I don't get it. What's wrong with Benny Hinn and Chic Tracts?

Seriously though, great thoughts. I really enjoyed reading it.

Jesse Carbo is what they call me. said...

I can see in you and others the "gift" of evangelism, but for me the dramatic realization was that I was not moving in a direction of personal evangelism and that would affect the DNA of Roots. As I am, as I lead, so will the church be. Don't get me wrong...everyone is free to think and be what they want, but as I lead out I am setting the pace for everyone. May I be the kind of leader that elevates the value of personal evangelism...the kind of leader that is broken for lost souls in our community and doesn't just talk about it but actually does something to make an impact.

John Fontaine said...

Yo, Kev! I do enjoy reading about your journey with the Roots Community. How awesome is our God? HE'S AWESOME, BABY!! I am praying for others to answer prayers with financial support. And thanks for starting up www.hendrixjourney.com for others to "peek in" and see what's going on with the plant. I loved seeing the pictures on there, especially of you, Abi, and Drew...hey, where was Beeg, taking the photos? No mulletts for Hendrix, please?! I praise our Lord and God for the work you are answering in His call. All of you are still inspiring to me!! Johnny

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

If you ever need to borrow my bullhorn, just let me know.