Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tired, but happy...


            I woke up today feeling like a truck had hit me.  I worked out yesterday and now I’m very stiff and tired.  To make matters worse, an old knee problem showed up again making my mobility a bit more cumbersome.  Want to hear more whining?  Remember the flat tires I’ve been having lately due to faulty valve stems?  Well, we finally had our last tire go flat so I had to spend an hour sitting in Tire Kingdom waiting for them to fix their problem.  Other than that, my day was pretty good…

            Isn’t it funny how no matter what is going on we tend to focus on the negative?  I had a really good weekend and a few minor irritants are overshadowing it.  Saturday night we had a great time of worship and Jesse really challenged us in the area of evangelism.  We had almost 17 people visit our little rag-tag group.  Most were from the church whose building we were using, but a few had somehow found out about us (we don’t advertise, yet) and showed up.  I think Jesse did a great job of bringing everyone up to speed with who we are and what we are all about.  I hope a number of them return, one couple in particular.  After church, Jesse met a guy at The Pub whom we had met last week at a birthday party at Jesse’s house.  He is new to the area and he and his wife are hungry for relationships.  We spent a couple of hours hanging out, getting to know each other, and laughing at the hypnotist that the pub had out that night.  A great foundational relationship was created; one that we hope to be able to build upon in an effort to minister to this family.  On Sunday we visited a church in the area that a number of our group have been attending.  It was pretty good.  They meet in a hotel conference center and really do a good job of creating an atmosphere of intimacy and connection.  It was a little more “polished” than I like, but that’s just my preference.  I like worship to feel more visceral and organic.  The “normal” preacher wasn’t there, and I don’t know whom it was who was preaching, but he did a good job.  He committed a pet peeve of mine, though… he based a key theological point of his message on a word that only shows up in a particular translation.  That’s a big no-no in my book, especially considering the version he used for the verse was more of a paraphrase than a word-for-word translation.  There I go again… being negative.  Anyway, it was a good weekend.

            This week BJ and I are trying to finalize everything to be able to send out our newsletter.  We hope those of you who get it will be able and willing to become ministry partners with us.  We may have to send it out in waves because it just costs too much to send out over a hundred pieces of mail all at once.  Please pray for us as we seek people to become supporters of this ministry.  I have presented a proposal for consultation to a local Lutheran church.  I may have mentioned it before, but they are interested in having me be a consultant for them as they develop their new contemporary worship service.  I hope they accept my proposal because that would be some much-needed money.  Speaking of worship, I am helping lead worship at a local church planting conference called Blossom this week, and our church’s band is leading worship for Four Corners Baptist Church on Sunday morning, and a few of our band (me included) are helping comprise a larger band for a worship event in Lakeland.  I have been very busy doing this type of thing since moving up here.  I enjoy it, and hopefully I will make some really good contacts for future opportunities.  Oh, our band is also leading worship on the 28th for another church, and I will be preaching that morning as well. 

            Busy, busy, busy.  I am very excited about what God is doing here in the Four Corners area.  He is preparing the ground for some major growth, and we need to be ready for the work that it will bring.  Please continue praying for us as we diligently seek people and groups to partner with us, and for the people whose lives we will connect with the love of Jesus.  It’s not about us, but all about Him.

No comments: