Monday, October 13, 2008

Disconnect... please!

I'm still trying to figure out how it takes me so long to make an entry on this.  It's not like I have this overwhelming schedule or anything.  Well... ok, I did last week.  Jesse and I attended Basic Training, a boot camp of sorts put on by the Florida Baptist Convention.  It was brutal!  10 hours of sitting in a room listening to people talk at us while we filled in the blanks in our workbooks... EVERY DAY FOR 4 DAYS!  It wasn't a good week at my house.  BJ was stretched from being a single mom, and I was stretched from the boot camp.  By the time the tension in our lives met head on, we didn't have our normal filters or emotional buffers, so we just let each other have it.  Don't look at me like that, you know it happens to you.  We've made up and are happy with each other again, but it just showed me another area where the enemy likes to sneak past our defenses.  Another thing that was made apparent to me was the fact that I need time away.  I'm not crying for a vacation.  What I mean is time away from my environment where my mind can be free, my eyes can soak in the beauty of God's creation, my hands can hold my wife's hand and play with my kids, and my feet can travel new paths.  Not having an office to go to or a separate place for me to "do work" causes my home to lessen it's  appeal.  I feel like I never leave work (even though I don't have a job) and I am always "on."
So, this week I am going to pursue the opportunities to disconnect.  Even if it is for a little while, it will allow my mind to re-orient itself.  If you live in Central Florida and know about places to do this, please let me know.  I'm gonna stop writing now so I can look for ways to disconnect.  You go do the same!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

howdy. i was blog surfing and found u. i dont find many blogs relating to church planting. my hubby and i are church planters, we're planning on #4!
i hope u do disconnect and come back with fresh thoughts!

many blessings,
journeywriter