Thursday, June 26, 2008

Something Good from Nazareth

Well, no big stories to tell today. I’m just sitting in “my office” (the coffee shop) trying to get some things done. I did have a nice read this morning in “Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ.” He spoke of the glorious joy of Jesus, and how joy is part of our salvation. Jesus didn’t save us for our joy, but for His. This was an interesting concept to me because we are constantly being told that God is eternally invested in our joy and happiness… that His desire is for us to live happy lives here on earth. Now, the underlying premise in the concept of Jesus’ joy is that ultimately His joy is what brings us the greatest joy… that our joy is temporal and severely lacking in the face of His extravagant pleasure. I get that. What I have had trouble in was the fact that we, as believers are to exhibit joy in the face of pain and tragedy because it is ultimately part of the joy of Christ. This is apparently part of the sharing in the sufferings of Christ (Romans 8: 16-17). Now, this joy that we are supposed to exhibit is not some glib and lifeless plasticity, rather it is an enduring of suffering with joy in knowing that we are faithful to His call, His glory, and His Kingdom. The Bible tells us that it was for joy that Jesus went to the cross, not for our happiness (Hebrews 12). What was His joy? The gladness of knowing that His actions would result in our worship of Him for delivering the goodness of God’s joy to us . I know it seems rather self-serving, but He is after all God. Anyway, I will make my point…
Over the past few weeks, Jesus has been showing me many things to solidify and settle within my heart and spirit that church planting is my true calling. One of the continuing revelations that He gives me is that my suffering was not in vain. He gives purpose to the heartache and fear. He shows direction in the confusion and anger. Something good has come out of Nazareth! I of course refer to John 1:46 where Nathanael scoffs at the idea of the Messiah coming out of Nazareth. We really don’t know what this passage means, but we can speculate that either Nazareth is so insignificant a town that only rednecks and thieves can be produced, or the town is known for its wickedness as represented in their desire to kill Jesus. Who knows… what I saw this morning as I read this was the confusion of being able to see the goodness of God through something that apparently doesn’t seem able to produce it under normal circumstances. Forgive my hermeneutic, but as I read Nathanael’s words I thought about my termination being Nazareth… can anything good come out of Nazareth? The answer, of course is “Yes!” Jesus has consistently shown me that my suffering has caused a vision for His church; my suffering has caused a righteous indignation against un-biblical and un-loving fundamentalistic sectarianism; my suffering has caused a holy discontent with “doing” church; my suffering has caused me to embrace the community more than the church; my suffering has caused me to rely solely on the power and providence of God and not my abilities or professional Christianity; my suffering has caused me to fully surrender to God’s call to church planting. In this, I find joy. Because of this I can face the future suffering and troubles with joy because I know my joy will be made complete in the glory of Jesus.
This weekend I lead worship for a church in Lakeland. I am also the main speaker, so I plan on somehow weaving my testimony with the worship to help paint a picture of God’s greatness, providence, and faithfulness. I am trying to see if I can get an interim worship “gig” at one of the churches in the Davenport area that are looking for a worship pastor. If I could get that it would be a “job” that I could list on a lease application. Jesse told me that a pastor was also looking to start a Saturday evening “contemporary” service and needed a worship leader for it. That would be ideal, so I pray things would work out for that. I don’t know what God is going to do for us for employment and housing, but I know he will provide exactly what we need… I just pray it is done with expedience! Lord, thank You so much for constant confirmation. Please continue to work in our hearts and lives to change and shape us for Your ministry. Keep Your hand on Jess and Anitra. Help those of us whom are having to raise support. Begin preparing the hearts of those You have chosen to give financially. Help them to let go of what you have entrusted them with. Show them that you blessed them for such a time as this. Prepare the hearts of those whom you have called to join BJ and me in our future plan. Begin the process in their hearts and lives so when we approach them, they will be ready to say, “Yes!” Show BJ and me your provision for a home. You know our desires, and we pray our desires line up with your plan and not our selfishness. Lastly, prepare the hearts of those whom we will be reaching out to in your name. To you be all glory and praise… amen.

1 comment:

Rodriguez said...

This is cool and a great way to know what to pray for you guys about. We are so proud of you, BJ and the kids for seeking God's plan for your life and stepping out on faith in so many ways. We know God is using you both in mighty ways and the plans he has for you and the lives HE will touch through you and your ministry will honor HIM. We pray for you daily and love you very much - Kim, Frankie and Elena

PS - wish we lived closer I want to come check out the new church - I am getting exited too! :)